Ekendiz Tanay (24 Oct. -
was born in 1933 in Ankara, finished in 1948 the Sarar Elementary School,
and concluded in 1952-1953 the girl's high school in Ankara. After she
visited the Academy of fine arts in Istanbul for one and a half years,
she returned to Ankara. In 1966 the artist went to Germany and visited
courses at the ceramic school in Karlsruhe. After she returned to her native
country, she took part in courses of the "Mineral Examination" institute and
started to work there. In 1970 Mrs. Tanay began within the scope of the
cultural exchange with Indonesia to take part in the courses of Mrs. Sefire,
worked in her "batik courses" and issued her art.
When she found out, that an American friend who worked with glass painting was back, both
co-operated and opened exhibitions. In the house of the Turkish-American Association they gave batik and
glas painting courses. In five years 5,000 pupils
took part in her courses. The adolescent expert founded the "Rainbow" studio
with the pupils. Together they opened exhibitions. Likewise they founded in
Ankara a school only for women, called
"Vitrayer-kadinlar (glas painting- women)".
give a good school education to her children the artist moved in 1989 to
Pendik Istanbul. There she opened a branch as chairperson of the "Turkish
women's union" and continued her cultural and training works. When she
turned back in 1998 to Ankara she founded in the same year the "association
for solidarity of women, culture and art".
She made great efforts to explain the anatolian culture to a greater
audience and supported the
hand crafts of the Turkish women.
On the 29th October 2007 the artist has
has moved to Gökova-Akyaka
because of its natural beauty.